The Department of Athletics endorses and supports the Anderson University "Mission Statement" which states..."The mission of Anderson University is to educate persons for a life of faith and service in the church and society."
We will build quality programs that will enable each member of the University to become stronger in body, mind and spirit, to experience what it means to love God and neighbor, and to adopt Christ-like servant ways in all of life.
Intercollegiate athletes representing Anderson will be bona fide students pursuing degree programs of their choice who enjoy the opportunity to develop athletic abilities consistent with the high standards of academic scholarship, sportsmanship, leadership and institutional tradition. Further, it is recognized that Anderson’s athletics program:
- Is an integral part of the total University spectrum involving students, faculty, staff and patrons.
- Should develop character, ethics, maturity and a sense of fair play as well as athletics excellence.
- Should promote pride in the University among students, faculty, staff and patrons.
- Should abide by the letter and spirit of the law requiring nondiscrimination on the basis of sex, race, creed or national origin.
- Must abide by all rules and regulations as set forth by the institution, governing conferences and the NCAA.
- Should strongly advocate academic, social and spiritual growth while encouraging a Christian lifestyle.
- Should strive to recruit quality student-athletes who fit the University profile, particularly those with a strong tie to the Church of God.
- Should be actively supported by other departments within the University in an effort to make a good-faith effort to recruit quality student-athletes.
- Should generate revenue to support, in part, all intercollegiate teams representing the University.
Among the objectives of the athletics department are the following:
- To develop an awareness and understanding of the human person, including intellectual, physical, social and spiritual dimensions.
- Encourage scholarship, leadership, sportsmanship, fair play and an appreciation of opponents and amateur athletics.
- Develop teamwork, respect for authority and an appreciation of rules and regulations governing the game.
- Develop an attitude of responsibility to society.
- Develop an appreciation for the beauty of physical performance and aesthetic values.
- Prepare students for meaningful and satisfying careers.
- Help students gain understanding and respect for individuals from other backgrounds and cultures.
- Encourage students to become involved in neighborhood and community service activities.
- Field disciplined and competitive teams seeking superior athletic performance within established rules and ethical conduct.
- Schedule appropriate competition for the athletes and teams.
- Have the athletics department recognized as an ethical leader and an example of excellence in conduct, management and performance.
- Provide superior facilities for competition, teaching and training.